Thursday, February 27, 2014

Project 2: Honey Cowl

You should probably know this: I'm not very fashionable, but I do know what I like. Cowls are one of those things. I wear a good amount of black and a cowl is the perfect way to add a splash of color to my otherwise color lacking outfits (and they're pretty awesome when you're always cold), so I decided to make one. As I've said in previous posts, I'm still a beginner so I made a conscious effort to select a relatively easy pattern. "Relatively easy" only because the pattern selected still had a few stitches I've never attempted before. I selected the Honey Cowl by Madelinetosh based on the simplicity of the pattern, but mostly due to all the beautiful photos of the completed pieces found on Ravelry. With the pattern decided on, I still needed a color. On my most recent visit to Michaels, I instantly fell in love (from halfway across the store) with a lovely shade of blue yarn. 

Blue Mint Honey Cowl: Doubled up
I managed to cast on 210 stitches to make the longer version despite using a shorter circular needle than suggested. Other than using a shorter circular needle than suggested, the pattern was knit exactly as written. 


I really love the way it came out, especially since it can be worn long or doubled up around my neck.


While casting off, I accidentally added an extra row and probably should have used a larger needle to prevent my cast off side from looking tighter than my cast on side. This mistake is pretty unnoticeable and I had no interest in pulling out any stitches. Definitely knitting this again.



My Supplies:

  • Caron Simply Soft Yarn
    • 1 Premium worsted-weight in Blue Mint
    • 100% acrylic
    • Needle Size 8 (2.25-3.5mm), 18 stitches / 4"
  • Circular Needles 
    • 1 Boyle Aluminum US 8 (5mm) 29in




No comments:

Post a Comment